Finding Out You May Have MS Could Be the Revolutionary Weight-Loss Solution

I have a theory. When you discover you “may” have multiple sclerosis, there are two typical reactions. a sense of relief to actually finding out what has been bugging you all these years OR TOTALLY FREAK OUT.

Having had symptoms only for a matter of months when MS was suspected in the fall of 2005, I fell into the latter category. Yup, carefree me. For three weeks I held my own pity party. And it was a rager of a party—picture a frat kegger and then toss in a fully loaded beer truck broken down in the frat house’s driveway with a sign “must unload to tow: free beer.”


It was great. In those few weeks of not eating, not drinking, not sleeping, and freaking out, I shed a full ten pounds.* Take that, South Beach!

*Results may not apply to every MSer. Eating food is recommended. Freaking out is not.

Originally published June 2006. Edited for clarity.

Comments

Cat said…
Ha! I stopped eating and drinking. I kinda think that was the real reason my neuro put me in the hospital for a round of steroids and some visits from the psychiatrist and priest.

Got me eating again at least. Still freaked out, though.
Dave Bexfield said…
Yeah, Cat, that freak-out phase can last for a bit. Heck, the stress of worrying about me getting diagnosed caused my wife's period to stop for months. Eventually your brain will settle down. Hang in there!
Anonymous said…
your blogs are awesome. love the sense of humour instead of doom and gloom. originally told prim prog because no figured it out years ago, figured to heck with that no freak out just hell bent on proving them wrong. Told RRMs after 2 years then had the freak out i'd proven them wrong but then had to face reality all over again and accept perhaps they weren't totally wrong. I get both reactions! Also still hell bent on staying as active and travelling whenever I can. Your website has now helped me figure out why I'm suddenly hooked on cruises.
Who knew they were supposed to be easier? enjoy your future trvls!
Unknown said…
Love you Dave! You make me laugh and knowing I have a place where people can relate to me makes the absolute world of difference!
Unknown said…
Or shall I say where I can relate to all of you:)
Rachel said…
An MS diagnosis was such a shock to me that I lost 20lbs in a month. I freaked out so much that I immediately began a sugar-free, dairy-free, non-gluten, etc diet that I read about online. 2 years later that diet is mostly out the window, though I still eat really healthy. I have regained 10 lbs and I'm now at the perfect weight for cycling up the hills where I live.
Dave Bexfield said…
20 lbs! Now we just need to market this; it could solve our obesity problem. Hmm, except for the whole getting MS thing....

Popular Posts